In 2018, mobile marketing will be even more important than it was in previous years. Commerce around the world continues to find its way into the mobile space at a multitrillion-dollar rate, and there is still plenty of upside. As the hottest part of the business year comes to us, it may be time for you to take a look at some of the most impactful statistics dealing with mobile.
- There are more than 3.5 billion users of the mobile Internet as of August 2017. Source: Statista
- These users are moving away from traditional media, spending an average of 69% of their media on their phones. Source: comScore
- 50% of this time is spent on apps, and this usage will drive over … Source: Zenith
- 80% of all Internet use around the world. Source: Comscore
What does this mean? You need a presence in the mobile space that caters to the way that modern users prefer to receive information.
Mobile App Use
- There are four major app stores to consider – Google Play, Apple, Windows and Amazon. Google Play has over 8 million apps, Apple has 2.2 million, Windows has just under 670K, and Amazon holds around 600K. Source: Statista
- These apps were downloaded a total of 197 billion times, with the majority of those being Android apps. However, people only use a small number of these apps on a daily basis. Source: Statista
- The average user only delves deeply into 30 apps in any given month. Also, people spend more time on apps than they do on mobile sites, although they access mobile sites more often. Source: TechCrunch
What does this mean? Get your mobile content in the right store, and analyze its use among your target market!
- 48% of online buyers will begin their search with an online search engine, making mobile the dominant source for online searches.
- Before a prospect will buy from you, they have a 69% chance of researching your services on a mobile device. Source: Google Research
- Google controls the overwhelming majority of this traffic, holding 96% of it. The other two major players are Yahoo Search and Microsoft Bing. Source: NetMarketShare
- If a customer is searching for your business and is also local, that customer has a 78% chance of making a purchase. Source: comScore
What does this mean? Not only do you need to have your apps and websites in the mobile space, but they should be optimized for local consumption! If you have to pick a search engine to optimize for, pick Google!
- Offline spending that is influenced by mobile already exceeds $1 trillion USD. This number is expected to increase exponentially in the coming years. Source: Forrester
- Even if you have a brick and mortar storefront, your customer is 90% likely to be on his or her smartphone while searching. Source: Marketing Land
- If your customer is local and searching for your business locally, they are 88% likely to visit your store physically. Source: Nectafy
- Finally, 57% of online users say that a great looking online site is essential for a word of mouth recommendation. Source: socPub
What does this mean? Mobile friendly means just that – mobile friendly. Your prospects need to find your web design inviting and informative. If they do, they will likely visit your storefront. If they don’t, your business will be persona non grata in your local area.
What are all of these stats trying to tell you? There are many takeaways, but the most important is this: Make sure that your website is mobile friendly. Trying to pass off a smaller version of your desktop website is no longer acceptable. Invest in a truly responsive site and watch your profits soar!
Get In Touch!
Digital Shifters, Inc.
15720 Brixham Hill Ave. Suite 300
Charlotte, NC 28277